Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Middle class pains

Hm, I'm unproductive again. My exams are in like a week and I'm slacking around. I guess it's because I already have a passing grade on one of the finals.

I'm rather bored. Everyone around me is studying.

Yesterday I watched MM LKY's video on Straits Times and conveyed his message to OF.

'I do not believe 50 per cent of Singaporeans can emigrate. So as a government, and personally for me and my colleagues, my responsibility is to look after those who cannot migrate.' - MM

OF was, as usual, highly skeptical of politicians.

But I came to this general conclusion that Singapore is a rather good place for the rich or the poor. For the middle class, it's not that nice.

The middle class is too poor to buy a nice house, car and other assorted stuff. These are things the typical middle class family can afford in Canada, Australia etc. That's why they migrate, eh?

The poor: You want to be poor in Indonesia, Africa etc? Just think of those poor starving kids picking out scrap at rubbish dumps. Enough said.

The rich: Low tax, safe environment, clean. Enough moola to buy the nice houses and big cars. Low cost labour allows them to afford maids/chauffeurs, services that are VERY EXPENSIVE elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I'm typical poor middle class. I guess I can only go back when I'm rich. *sobs*


No comments: