Thursday, March 29, 2007

Faustian Bargain

Faustian bargain [(fow-stee-uhn)]
Faust, in the legend, traded his soul to the devil in exchange for knowledge. To “strike a Faustian bargain” is to be willing to sacrifice anything to satisfy a limitless desire for knowledge or power.
American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition
.
I'm doing a psychology class on exceptional people (Einstein, Stravinsky, Freud etc etc) and I've learnt that many these successful people have rather terrible interpersonal relationships. So, it seems that if you want to be exceptional, you have to sacrifice something for such ability.
.
I guess it is true. To have good grades in university, you got to sacrifice your social life, sleep, health to squeeze out that 4.0 GPA. I mean, there are definitely some people out there who seem to have it all: not study much and do well, but they still have to put in some effort to get to their current location. To them, the sacrifice might not be that great. Hm, maybe these people enjoy their work, so they do not need to experience other more enjoyable activities. *focus all energy into cramming for exams. Ooo.. I'm so happy*
.
Hm, so to get better grades, better career prospects, I got to sacrifice something for it. It may be my Spongebob cartoons, my msn-ing, my social life, my slacking. This is so icky.
.
If you feel that one part of your life is totally crappy, maybe it is because you spend too much time and effort in some other aspect. *need balanced lifestyle* But after being balanced and well adjusted, maybe you won't be so 'exceptional' after all.
.
Note: You may have a crappy unbalanced life and be rather pathetic (not exceptional).

No comments: