Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Going home

It's 11:40am and I'm tired and I want to go home. I slept around 3-4am last night after fretting over my courses. 5 PaTHeTic hours of sleep before I got dragged out of bed by OF (another blog on OF some other time) to register for my courses. After hogging spots in courses that I don't need and reshuffling my schedule (I misread courses at 3am in the morning), I trudged to work on bicycle.

I'm at work, updating my blog and performing pretty mindless duties: just to keep the company functioning. There are always people needed to do the sai1 gang1. Here in the Canada, we are a laggy 12 hours behind Singapore time. Thus all my friends are online at my 11am, an ungodly early hour for the undergraduate student.

I looked through my MSN list and read the usual names, familiar names of people I have grown up with, gone to school with. Everyone is there, yet I have no inclination to start a conversation with my friends from long ago. It's just kind of gloomy, that everyone is moving on in life without you. I guess this is the part of life, part of the choice I made when I decided to leave the country and take a path slightly less trodden.

Is it the same for all those in a foreign land? I guess Canada is not really a 'foreign land' to me. I've been here for 2 years and have a pending PR. I know the place decently well, I have a job, work with 2 professors. The usual more or less balanced university life. But I guess it is still different, I have yet to establish a large social circle, I choose to restrict my shopping for more stuff = more luggage.

Yet, when I return home (if it still is called home), I feel a sense of loss. The place has changed (a quick read of ST informed me that a new shopping mall is built), friends have moved on, and I'm still stuck with my JC impression of Singapore.

Wish to return to an easy life of home cooked food, clean laundry and bad television (7pm Chinese dramas... Oooo...) But until then, I shall try to make the best out of my situation. MSN friends in Singapore? Maybe, but I'm tired from work/lack of sleep.. And I'm going home... Back to my tiny room in a house with a marijuana filled basement, paper thin walls and an overgrown jungle backyard. (but that's going to be another blog entry)

No comments: