Saturday, June 30, 2007

14 hours

I'm going to be leaving Toronto in 14 hours. In 3 years, I've grown rather fond of Toronto. Hm, I'm not sure about overseas students elsewhere, but one does get attached to a foreign city. I don't look forward (that much) to going back to Singapore even though it is considered home.

Every time I travel, I'm glad to get back to Toronto and the comforts this city provides. It's like the NDP video of 'Home' except that I feel comforted by the Maple Leaf flag (inside of Singapore Changi Airport).

I don't know. I don't know many people or have many close friends here in Toronto. But I'm genuinely fond of this place. I think it is the feeling Toronto provides. The city, as a whole, is welcoming. Most assume I'm Canadian even though I speak with a Singlish accent. People here are nice. I pay high taxes but I'm okay with it. (Oh gosh, I must have been brainwashed by the government!)

I've also taken to singing the Canadian national anthem. (Maybe I feel more strongly about it because the song is in English, I have no idea what Majulah Singapura means.)

How odd one can fall for a country. I have Canadian luggage tags on my luggage (Have you seen anyone with Singaporean tags??). My purin wears a Canadian sweater.

I'm upset that I'm leaving Toronto before Canada Day (1st July).

Canada is doing a darn good job at PR-ing. I don't see foreign students in Singapore being so fond of the country. Of course, I'm still some what patriotic (towards Singapore). After all, I've spent a great deal of time there. The things are familiar and the food is good.

But still, there's something in the Canadian air. I hope I'll be back one day. *fingers cross* May my pending residency go through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(Amputated) Purin looks cute for once in that white sweater! Shld have bought some for my dolls. Yeah Toronto draws you back for some weird reason.