Friday, February 19, 2010

The Social Contracts I Didn't Sign

My blog entries are becoming rants at the world. Yes, another thing annoyed me today. Someone sent out a oh-not-so nice email directed towards forcing group members to conform to appropriate behavior. I find it ironic. I assume PhDs who spend hours poring over human behavior would have a better idea that such tactics do not work. All I am left with is a foul taste in my mouth and an active desire to avoid all group contact (with certain groups).

Well, then again, I am atypical. Everyone else might have bowed to peer pressure and evolved into yet another annoying creature that seeks to enforce group behavior.

This is especially so since I didn't agree to be part of the social group. I get it that if I willingly submit myself to some darn CCA in school, I would have to conform and be like them. I am so glad that my identity is not defined by my official 'career'. If a meteorite destroys my life work, I would like to think I would be able to brush it off and continue with the more important things in life.

I guess I am more smug than pissed off now. Pleased that I am not those mindless (again ironic) beings who give themselves to institutions. Yes, you get your self esteem, ego and affirmation from that one place that probably fills your heart with sunshine and rainbow. I am probably a fragmented soul aka Voldemort whose world is a constant drizzle. But I like that to believe that as I stand in my rained filled muddy patch, freezing without purpose, I exist for a cause more real than in the world where the sunshine burns like acid and the rainbow is acrylic and bitter.

No comments: