Friday, April 27, 2012

On Goodbyes

My maternal grandfather passed away when I was 12, in Primary 6.  It was my first experience with death.  I remembered not crying at all.  This was rather odd since I sobbed rather easily (watching crappy tv shows, reading chicken soup for the soul).  The adults around me were much more upset.  I recalled playing cards with my cousins while everyone else busied themselves with the HDB style void deck funeral.

When he was about to die, my mom asked me whether I wanted to go see/say goodbye (i.e. walked down a few flight of stairs to my grandfather's place).  I didn't go because I said I was afraid.  I wasn't really afraid.  Perhaps I was somewhat hesitant to confront death.  I don't know.  Sometimes, I wished I went although I didn't think it would have mattered to my grandfather.  I saw him a couple of hours before his death and a few minutes after his death.  Just not at that very moment of death.  I'm so curious (I know, it is so inappropriate) about death.

When I was younger, my grandfather used to show me cats around the neighbourhood.  And he used to fold his cigarette boxes into little containers.  I was fond of the smell and texture of the cigarette boxes.  Yar, the cigarettes probably killed him before his time.  I remembered that my grandfather once made some contraption with some rubber bands and plastic (maybe a rubber band around the tires of a truck / bicycle) to entertain me and my brother.  I tried to do it myself but never got it to work.

I sometimes wished I was religious so I could reassure myself that there is life after death.  For now, I have the certainty of ambiguity.  Blah!  I have so many questions for my grandfather (and also my paternal grandparents + great grandparents) but I don't think the questions would matter once I'm not alive.  If souls exist, do they have existential crises?  That's a rather funny thought.

1 comment:

The_Laptop said...

You know, you should probably think about talking to your parents more.

As we grow up, they are growing older. Soon, we will have to confront their mortality too.