Saturday, September 08, 2007

New York, New York?

I didn't have any expectations about New York. I have no NYC fantasy filled with beautiful people, designer clothes, cushy corporate jobs, overpriced food and endless alcohol.

Residing in New York is different from visiting. I have been here for a week and a half and I have settled into a routine which mainly involves school, subway and the food emporium.

I've acquired the fast walking, glazed eye look that is commonly spotted in NYC. My expressionless face is prepared to morph into a scowl whenever someone blocks my path. I see horrible things but I dare not or want to intervene. I continue walking. Faster, barely pausing to comprehend the scene.

I saw someone being kiap4 by a subway train. I feel indifferent watching him being kiap4-ed and un-kiap4-ed a few times. When the train door was finally done kiap4-ing him, I took the chance to dash out of my local train into the express train.

I see the vibrancy of the city. I could understand the inspiration it provides. (I did a paper on how geniuses have a tendency to gravitate to big cities.)

I feel like Holden Caulfield in The Catcher in the Rye. I'm only midway through the book but I identify with him. I feel like a nut.


* kiap4: Singlish, clamp

No comments: